Our life is nothing short of an adventure...

Wind in our hair and screams of delight but also unpredictable turns and unknown outcomes. We are a family of six; Dave, Susie, Nate, Jake, Sam, and Bella.

God has been faithful in our marriage and through the birth and blessings of our boys.

God has been faithful during our adoption journey and united Bella with us in May of 2008. We were privileged to visit with Bella's birth mother; therefore, Bella's family in Guatemala will always be dear to our hearts.

On October 16, 2008, Bella was diagnosed with ALL Leukemia. We are now battling the disease with 2 years and 3 months of treatment. We believe God will continue to be faithful!

Our family is committed to living life to the fullest...even on the hard days. Thank you for checking in and journeying with us!


Saturday, February 2, 2008

Why Pray?

I received an email recently from a forum friend, "Why Pray"?

Let me preface this by stating "Adoption is not for the faint hearted" (Sue H). In no way did I anticipate that the statement would ring so true. I remember thinking that she was probably right....but how can you possibly understand till you go through it? In all my life experiences, not one of them required more faith than this journey of adoption.

International Adoption requires you to work with not just one government, our own, the US, but also a Third World Country. We knew right away we have two choices, trust God or trust your self. So what does that mean? You can trust God for all His promises and enjoy the journey, or you can listen to the lies of the enemy "who comes to steal, kill and destroy" and be stressed out, bitter, angry, worried and fearful.

For those of us who choose Christianity, we tend to use "prayer" as our way to communicate with God. Jesus told us to "ask and you shall receive". So why is it that there are those who struggle? Whose journey's to us seem less than perfect. Who seem to hit road blocks at every corner they turn. Why hasn't God answered their prayers? Does He not hear them, have they not prayed enough?

The truth is, God has heard their prayers, He hears and answers everyone of our prayers. All you have to do is go to His Word "And whatever you ask for in prayer, have FAITH, BELIEVE, and you will receive". Matt 21:22 So what is faith, "faith comes from hearing and hearing by the Word of God". What tends to happen to most Christians along the way is that we forget the "Believe" part. It's easy to hear the Word or look up scriptures, but its a whole other thing to believe it. But you see, that's they key to Faith, that's the key to receiving. We have to learn to Believe God at His Word. That's what it means to be under the new covenant, that's what Jesus want to the cross for. "I came so that you may have life". God cant break His covenant with His people, it discredits Him.

But take warning, "Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." 1 Peter 5:7-9. "The thief comes only to kill, steal and destroy:. John 10:10 Our enemy is not God, the day we asked in prayer, He gave it to us....but the enemy came in with, doubt, worry, fear and fills our minds with lies, and what do we do? We mediate on His lies and as a result, believe him. This is what it means to transform minds, to wield the sword of the spirit...that is Spiritual War Fare.

So what do you do? I dont know Spiritual Warfare, I dont understand it. Let me give you the cleanest scripture version I have found regarding this " 10Finally, let the mighty strength of the Lord make you strong. 11Put on all the armor that God gives, so you can defend yourself against the devil's tricks. 12We are not fighting against humans. We are fighting against forces and authorities and against rulers of darkness and powers in the spiritual world. 13So put on all the armor that God gives. Then when that evil day comes, you will be able to defend yourself. And when the battle is over, you will still be standing firm. 14Be ready! Let the truth be like a belt around your waist, and let God's justice protect you like armor. 15Your desire to tell the good news about peace should be like shoes on your feet. 16Let your faith be like a shield, and you will be able to stop all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Let God's saving power be like a helmet, and for a sword use God's message that comes from the Spirit." Eph 6:10-17(Contemporary English Version).

What is your strength? God's Promises. Where do you find those, in His Word! What is the Armor of God? His Word. What does it mean to stand? That even when every arrow is thrown your way, you say "NO! I will not fear, He who is in me is GREATER than he who is in the World" You use every scripture God has given you and you list them off....and then comes the hard part, you have to believe it. You see, its a choice. Choose God and live a life of peace, joy and abundance. Or choose the enemy and his lies and be angry, bitter, fearful, worried and stressed.

So what happens when things don't go our way. Why didnt God step in? Why is this happening to those who are trying to be a faithful steward? My dear friends, its not God....its the enemy. B Its how you respond that makes all the difference. God "turns all things too good for those who love and serve the Lord". You see God will use times of difficulty to "Get Us". He wants us! He does not allow bad things to happen to us, but He will use those circumstances in the hope that we will PRESS IN to Him! "Trust on, Rely on" him.

Let me tell you friend, there is so much joy to be had in this journey. It's not easy, there are really hard days, there are days that I don't even feel like getting out of bed. But I choose God! "I do not consider my body" like Abraham....but I press in to the Lord and I speak His Word and I believe it to be true. I praise Him for the journey. And I would do this all over again to have what I have in the Lord today. I will never be the same again.

Why Pray? So that you can "come to know the hope to which you have been called too and the glorious riches in the Saints! So that you can know God....its worth everything!

5 comments:

demp5 said...

You are so right! Thank you for reminding me of these truths. With the power of the Holy Spirit who lives within me, I will be victorious in this area. Thank you so much for your very sweet message and this post.
Blessings~
Meghan

Cheri said...

What a wonderful message! I may have to read and re-read that as I can so relate to you! Your on the downhill road. Love your new blog but miss seeing your precious daughter! Cheri

Gail said...

AWESOME!! Like you, my faith and trust in God has grown so much through this process. God has been so good to me. I believe in specific prayer so I am praying for the exact date I want my embassy appointment for. I am believing God for it too.
Gail

Cheri said...

Susie....I came back to your blog this evening to read yesterday's post again. I want to know more about you. Your knowledge of scripture is unbelievable. Is your husband a preacher?!:) Cheri

Mary Ann said...

You have been tagged! Check out my blog for the details. http://theshrumfamilyadventures.blogspot.com/

Let me know once you put this on your blog.

BTW... That is a total bummer you can not post your childs pictures!!!

Mary Ann