Our life is nothing short of an adventure...

Wind in our hair and screams of delight but also unpredictable turns and unknown outcomes. We are a family of six; Dave, Susie, Nate, Jake, Sam, and Bella.

God has been faithful in our marriage and through the birth and blessings of our boys.

God has been faithful during our adoption journey and united Bella with us in May of 2008. We were privileged to visit with Bella's birth mother; therefore, Bella's family in Guatemala will always be dear to our hearts.

On October 16, 2008, Bella was diagnosed with ALL Leukemia. We are now battling the disease with 2 years and 3 months of treatment. We believe God will continue to be faithful!

Our family is committed to living life to the fullest...even on the hard days. Thank you for checking in and journeying with us!


Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Gotcha!


One year ago today, I walked in to a small yellow room with 3 cribs and 5 babies. In the crib directly in front of me laid my sweet sleeping daughter. Her little face was facing away from me, at first glance, I could only see the shiny black hair I stroked when she was 3 weeks old. I will never forget that moment. I will never forget the raw emotions, and overwhelming joy, what it felt like to hold her again after 8 months, the answered pray that she knew me when I picked her up and she looked at me, smiled and then nuzzled her face in my shoulder. I will never forget the tears rolling down my face and her special Mother as we were reunited, the softness of her hair on my cheek, the tininess of her hands and feet. I will never forget the smile on her Daddy's face when he held her that first time in 8 months, the desperateness of our reliance on God, and the relationship we grew in Christ. I will never "never forget what God has done, for it is marvelous in our eye's". It has been the sweetest year despite all we have been through.

It was not the day I planned or hoped for. Our morning started off slow, and quickly abrupted into busyness. I had planned to dress Bella in a special outfit, meet Daddy for lunch in celebration of this day, read books, play at the park and lay in the sun beam in my family room on the floor with Bella in my arms praising God as I did so many day's while praying and believing her home. Instead, I found my self in the car dealership for an apt. I forgot about, running around town for Electrical plugs, showing the handyman around my home for all the "little things" that needed repair, driving the boys here and there for all their events, finalizing details for a listing sold and dealing with a crying and emotional baby girl on steroids. One year ago the day was magical and utterly joyful, a year later...I was still blessed and much is to be praised, for Bella is home. Yet I find myself at the end of the day disappointed that I was not able to enjoy this special day more in the physical realm, but I know that I know that my spirit is rejoicing with God and all His angels in what was accomplished one year ago today and what has been manifested since.

I am so tempted to pick that sweet little girl up and rock her back and forth and sing...
"I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be".

This is from the book "I'll love you forever", I read this to all my babies and made a tune to go with the words and I sing it to this day to all of them.

On Sunday we will celebrate our Forever Family Day. This is the day one year ago that Dave and I brought Bella home to her brothers, grand parents, cousins, all extended family and friends. I have a video from that glorious moment that I have never posted and plan to do on Sunday. We are still trying to figure out how we want to celebrate that day as we also have a "First Communion" to celebrate with my niece. I am confident God will show us the perfect way to glorify Him and celebrate in the victory and promise that He did.

One year ago today.....I am still crying and standing in His glory. How great is our God!




19 comments:

Vanessa said...

Happy Gotcha day!!

The Adoption Journey of Baby King said...

Happy Gothcha Day!

I love Gotcha Days! I am so blessed to celebrate three of them!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing. I too love the "Love you Forever" book and can't get through it without crying now.

She'll always be your baby. Your boys too, even though they are bigger, will always be your babies.

We love you! Happy Gotcha day!

GinaMarie said...

Happy Gotcha day to you
Happy Gotcha day to you
May you feel Jesus near
Everyday of the year

Happy Gotcha day to you
Happy Gotcha day to you
Have the BEST day
You ever had!!!

Congrats on the Gotcha day!! May there be MANY MORE!

So glad she is doing so well!!

Blessings,
Gina Marie and boys
www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahhaugh

Robyn said...

What a beautiful post!! Happy Gotcha Day!!

Susie said...

Happy Gotcha Day! I'm crying over the utter joy I read in your post. Even though the day didn't go as planned, the significance was the same. It's so hard to believe it's been a year, but at the same time seems as if it were only yesterday.

Sara said...

Happy Forever Family Day. Isn't it funny how sometimes certain don't days don't live up to our expectations, yet other days are so much more than we expected?! Giving God the glory for the miracle of your daughter's life.

jajbs said...

I LOVE that book and just reading the words you typed along with this post, brought tears to my eyes. What a GREAT God He is and it is such an honor to watch Him work in your family!

prayers going up every night for your sweet Bella from my son,Jake. Not a night goes by that he has not asked for God's healing power to flow through her little body. I am so happy that he is getting to see God move!

Happy Gotcha Day!!

amanda

Leah Maya Benjamin said...

Happy Family day! I'm sure it will be wonderful and magical no matter what you do, as she gets older it will be even more special because she will be able to help you plan things and be more involved. I just keep think how lucky she is that there were no problems on her case, you didn't get held up in PGN and got her home so that when she got sick you were int he good ol USA!

Courtney said...

Happy Forever Family Day .... Stella has that same dress . Does Bella have the hat to match ? What a sweet post. I will have to check out that book .... (((HUGS)))

Jack said...

We read the Love you forever book every night, it is Jack's favorite:)
Happy Gotcha Day!

Anonymous said...

Happy forever family day! I love that dress!

hugs,leslie

Amanda said...

Does it get any better than celebrating something so purely joyful as being united with our children forever? I know all too well how excited you were to celebrate this milestone. Congrats on surviving this year and glorifying Him every step of the way. I'm in awe!

Bella-- you are so beautiful and perfect for your family!
Love you,
Amanda

Jaimee said...

Happy Gotcha Day! Your post made me teary...a good teary. Her dress is beautiful...

Alex and Sam said...

susie,
HAPPY GOTCHA DAY!!!!! what a beautiful post... enjoy celebrating this weekend

alex

Mama Bear said...

What a very special post for a very special little girl and her family. May you have tons of sunshine and enjoyment in the celebration on Sunday. Blessings.

Amy said...

Tears ran down my face when I read this b/c I can sympathize with those raw emotions the day you saw and met Bella...in fact I remember meeting her too..a few cribs down from Londy. However, I can't say I understand at all what you have been through in the past year...but we are on our knees before our Father on your behalf...and rejoicing that He is good- no matter what!

Gail said...

I'm late (of course) but Happy Gotcha Day!! Hope tomorrow is everything you dream it to be.
Gail and Johana Faith

Hannah said...

I used to have that book when I was little. My mom and I would read it together. She still quotes that line to me all the time-- she said it to me right before I walked down the aisle too.